I always find the two weeks before the Investec Festival the most manic in my boutique with clients not only buying their hats and headpieces for the two-day event but also asking me style advice for last minute changes to outfits or weather to match hats to handbags and shoes, so I thought it made sense to put together a style guide on my website to help all the ladies out there that will be attending the festival.
Jessica Rea’s Style Guide
There are so many styles of hats out there it is hard to know where to start but my number one rule is to try not to overthink it.
Many people can panic when buying a hat for the first time but it should be a fun and enjoyable process. It is important to consider the style, shape, and colour of the hat. Some colours can wash you out and others can lift your complexion, so try as many different shades as possible because you never know.
1) Match hat, handbag, and shoes where possible or within the same tones.
2) Take into consideration Epsom Downs is an open Racecourse and it can be extremely windy. It is important to bear this in mind when you are choosing your dress and make sure your hat is secured properly.
3) Remember, what you feel comfortable in is the most important on the day.
4) Show your outfit to as few people as possible, not your whole family. It can be hard to make a decision with so many opinions flying around and it will throw off your confidence in your look.
5) When wearing any form of hat or headpiece try and wear your hair up, a chion bun created with hair donut is an easy way to get a glamorous look.
6) Have bobby pins to hand for extra security on your hat.
7) If you have space put butterfly twist shoes in your handbag, walking around barefoot is not chic.
8) When putting a hat on remember you are not wearing a bonnet at the back of your head, tip it forward for a sophisticated look.
9) Avoid the knicker lines! It is so important to wear the right undergarments, no matter what your size or shapewear a body as it will stop from clinging.
10) If you are wearing stilettos, pop some clean heals in your bag to avoid sinking in the grass.
11) Look at the weather forecast beforehand, if it is sunny wear sun cream before you put on your outfit, you don’t want to walk around looking burnt.
12) Don’t over think it, just enjoy the day.
Love Jessica Rea xx